Malaysia citizens support Hongkongers
We are a group of Malaysian citizens who are very concerned about the development of things in Hong Kong since June.
The following are our statements:
1. We are extremely outraged at the abuse of power by the Hong Kong government and the police and the destruction of the law. Since June, the Hong Kong police have been using excessive force to enforce the law. They have done unnecessary harm to those who were arrested in the process. They have repeatedly insulted the citizens of Hong Kong and even arrested and beat up non-resistors. Recently, the actions of the Hong Kong police have worsen yet again. Not only did they shot the public at close range, but they have also entered a number of tertiary institutions without authorisation. They also used tear gas and plastic bullets to the public. These acts of the police are a serious violation of the General Procedures of the Police. The Hong Kong Government has not only did not restrained but failed to establish an independent investigation committee according to the wishes of the people. It has even allowed the situation to deteriorate. It has taken the lead in undermining the rule of law enjoyed by Hong Kong over the past100 years and the foundation of Hong Kong's prosperity.
2. We protest against the Hong Kong government and the police blocking the road for humanitarian relief. In a number of conflicts between the police and citizens, the police blocked medical personnel from treating the injured and even attacked medical staff. On11th of August, the frontline ambulance personnel was wonded by a gunshot and on31st August the medical staff were prevented from entering the scene to take care of the wounded at Prince Edward Station. When the ambulance was urgently needed to send Zhou Zi-Le to the hospital on November4th, they even blocked the ambulance from going to the place of incident. All these are in violation of the Geneva Conventions.
3. We are outraged that the Hong Kong government and the police are obstructing the freedom of the press. Since June, the police have repeatedly insulted journalists, prevented them from reporting freely and even attacked the journalists. All these are destroying the freedom of the press and speech that people should enjoy.
4. We are very dissatisfied with the Hong Kong government and the police obstructing people from free gatherings. Whether is it in Malaysia or Hong Kong, the freedom of assembly is a right of people. However, since June, the Hong Kong police and the government have repeatedly prevented people from demonstrating and even forcibly ending demonstrations and attacking demonstrators present during legally prescribed time. The Hong Kong police and government not only undermine people's freedom but they are also the culprit in the conflict between the police and the people.
5. We are mad that the Hong Kong government and the police are destroying freedom from fear. According to modern political theory, the people give part of the power to the government, allowing the government and the police to enjoy some power and force in order to protect the people. Yet today the Hong Kong government and the police use the goodwill of the people to abuse power, using this power to oppress the people and let the people live in fear. This not only violates the original intention of the founding government, but also destroys the freedom from fear that people should enjoy.
We oppose the Hong Kong Government and violations of police towards the law and the destruction of freedom, and support the people of Hong Kong to defend their human rights, such as the rule of law, freedom of speech, freedom of the press, freedom of assembly and freedom from fear.